Monday, August 5, 2013

First Letter From Brazil!

Mom! and Family!

I am in Brazil! I arrived at 8 o'clock in the morning, and when we got off the plane they didn't check my immunizations or anything. So I got those for nothing...hahaha just kidding.

Well, coming here has pretty much changed my life already. I am with Elder D. Sousa. He is Brazilian from Brasilia, and he only speaks Portuguese, so it's kinda fun. Another sweet thing, we are opening this area while he is training me, and he is also District Leader. Our area is called Goiana 1. I think it is a couple hours north of Recife, so it's like a smaller town. So, when we got here, we found this kid who had gone to Church once, and we baptized him on Sunday, his name is Eliton. I had the opportunity to baptize him, and everything went well. We confirmed him yesterday during Sacrament, and I also bore my testimony. All the people said it was good...they said I didn't talk really slow like the Americans usually do. They said I have good Portuguese, but I just can't understand what people say to me haha. They talk very fast so I will learn to understand eventually.

The living conditions are different here also. And just EVERYTHING is completely different, so it's crazy haha. I can see myself improving though, and I can understand more of what people say. Not knowing the language of the country you are living in is really humbling though. My companion does everything, and tells me what to do like always. I feel like a little child. It's really interesting. I can't wait till I can understand people and actually teach and everything.

The members feed us well, and it is always rice and beans and spaghetti, and then they always have coconut dessert. I love the food here! I feel like a deer in the headlights when people talk to me, and I don't understand. I think that is what I look like too haha. Hey Mom, I am glad the rats metaphor inspired you. It inspired me as well. I think it is from C. S. Lewis.

This is a huge challenge for me though. So much has happened, and my mind is so boggled, I am not sure if I'm making sense haha, so I am sorry. I will be more on my feet next week, I hope. I have been praying for the gift of tongues! 


I love you all so much! Sounds like everything is going well there, and it is good to hear. I miss you guys and think about you often. Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Hoyt

No comments:

Post a Comment